Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Linguistic Society of America
- Member, Íslenska málfræðifélagið (The Linguistic Society of Iceland)
- Former Treasurer, Linguistics at NYU (LANYU). (2008-2009)
- Coordinator, NYU Syntax Brown Bag. (2008-2011)
Writing for Coldfront
The goal of Coldfront is to “provide exhaustive, expert, unbiased journalistic and critical coverage of contemporary poetry and lyricism for poets, musicians, publishing houses and the reading and listening public.” They have a general interest in language as well, and below I have listed some reviews/articles I have written for them.
- Linguistic Cartography – a short article I wrote with a general audience in mind, describing the cartographic enterprise with a primary focus on Functional Structure within DP and IP: The Cartography of Syntactic Structures Volume 1. Several similar articles on various topics/approaches within linguistics are in the works.
- A Time in Xanadu – a review of the book by Lars Gustafsson.
- The Other Side of Landscape: An Anthology of Contemporary Nordic Poetry – a review of the book edited by Anni Sumari and Nicolai Stochholm.
- Eminem rhymes with orange – Anderson Cooper stops just short of calling Eminem a nerd. Who doesn’t read the dictionary? “You just have to figure out the science to breaking down words.” Indeed.
- Speculative Grammarian is the premier scholarly journal featuring research in the neglected field of satirical linguistics. This site can be downright hilarious sometimes.
- Íslenskt Mál – This site has (among other things) a list of academic works, mostly linguistics, in Icelandic. Many summaries and bibliographic info available.
- Penn Linguistics Club Homepage - Lots of good resources & helpful advice on this page.
- phpSyntaxTree - Turns brackets into syntax trees.
- Chomskybot - Takes phrases from Chomsky and combines them to generate thousands of Chomskyan paragraphs. Hit “reload” for hours of fun!
- Articulators of Speech Sounds – A real-time MRI showing how amazing our speech sound articulators are. Thanks to Jelena Krivokapic for sharing!
Links to Journals
- American Speech
- English Language & Linguistics
- English Today
- Íslenskt mál og almenn málfræði
- Journal of Child Language
- Journal of Comparative Germanic Linguistics
- Journal of East Asian Linguistics
- Journal of English Linguistics
- Journal of Germanic Linguistics
- Journal of Linguistics
- Journal of Linguistic Geography
- Journal of Slavic Linguistics
- Language in Society
- Language Sciences
- Language Variation and Change
- Linguistic Analysis
- Linguistic Inquiry
- Linguistic Variation
- Natural Language & Linguistic Theory
- Nordic Journal of Linguistics
- Russian Linguistics
- Studia Linguistica
- Theoretical Linguistics
- Working Papers in Scandinavian Syntax